Matthews in contention at Wildcat Invitational

Freshman Brandon Matthews finds himself in contention for an individual title once again after completion of the first day of play at the Wildcat Invitational held in Malvern, PA.

The freshman’s 36-hole total of two-over-par leaves him in fourth place individually, six strokes behind University of Delaware freshman Braden Shattuck who paced the individual field with a 36-hole total of 140. Matthew’s started the day off hot firing a three-under-par score of 69 on his first 18 holes. He then cooled off shooting a five-over-par score of 77 on his second 18 holes.

As a team the Owls find themselves in sixth place out of 13 teams in the event. Behind Matthews the Owls were led by senior Devin Bibeau who finished with a 36-hole total of 151 (+7) and sophomore Paul Carbone who finished with 155 (+11). Junior Matthew Crescenzo and sophomore Matthew Teesdale rounded out the Owls with scores of 157 (+13) and 160 (+16) respectively.

Temple finished the day with a team total of 604 and trails team-leader Rhode Island by just nine shots. With six teams being within nine-shots of the leader the second-day of play at the Wildcat Invitational is sure to be unpredictable, especially with temperatures expected to be around 10 degrees lower than they were Monday during round one.