Owls to face Delaware in Liberty Bell Classic

Coming off of a 1-0 loss in the second game of a Saturday doubleheader to George Washington, Temple (10-13, 2-4 Atlantic 10 Conference) will face Delaware in Newark, DE in the semifinal game of the Liberty Bell Classic on Tuesday, April 2.

While Temple has won of three of its past five games, the Owls will face a Blue Hens team that has not suffered a loss since March 17. Delaware has won its last eight games and has outscored its opponents 71-42.

Starting on the mound for Temple on Tuesday will be sophomore pitcher Adam Dian, who last pitched against Lehigh in the Liberty Bell Classic quarterfinal game against Lehigh on March 27. Dian finished the game with 3.0 innings pitched allowing no runs, three hits, no walks, and three strikeouts in the 9-3 defeat of the Mountain Hawks.

The Owls will be opposed by Blue Hens’ sophomore pitcher Dan Gatto. In 21.0 innings this season, Gatto has a 5.14 ERA accompanied by a 1-1 record.

In the second game of the 2013 season, Temple fell to Delaware 8-4 in Cary, N.C. Freshman catcher Michael D’Acunti led the Owls with two hits in four at-bats with one RBI in the loss.

The winner of Tuesday’s matchup will advance to the Liberty Bell Classic Final on April 16 at Citizens Bank Park. The Owls or Blue Hens will meet with Villanova or Penn in the championship game.

Following Tuesday’s game, Temple will return to A-10 conference play on Friday when they host LaSalle in a three-game series at Skip Wilson Field.

John Murrow can be reached at john.murrow@temple.edu or Twitter @JohnMurrow12.