Men’s tennis begins play in fall season finale

The men’s tennis team began its final tournament of the fall Thursday, going 1-3 in singles matches in the qualifying draw.

Freshman Hicham Belkssir was the only Owl who won a match, defeating Morgan State senior Richard King 6-0, 6-2 in the first round of the USTA/ITA Atlantic Regional Championship.

He lost in the second round to St. Joseph’s University freshman Andres Urrea 6-3, 6-1. Coach Steve Mauro said Belkssir was tired in the second match, as there was only 90 minutes of time between the two matches.

Freshman Nicolas Paulus sustained a neck injury in his first round match, and eventually fell to Maryland-Baltimore County sophomore Kamal Patel 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.

Mauro said that Paulus was hurt in the third game of the first set, and was therefore in pain for the majority of the match. Mauro suspects that it will fully heal within a week.

Sophomore Hernan Vasconez was also defeated in his first round match. He lost 6-3, 7-6 to Norfolk State freshman Samuel Lemberger. Mauro said he was surprised that Vasconez lost, as he has been having a great fall season.

Singles matches in the main draw will begin tomorrow. Sophomore Kristian Marquart will play James Madison senior Hugo Ramadier. Mauro said Ramadier is a tough opponent and beating him would be a great win for Marquart. The winner of that match goes on to play the tournament’s top seed, Virginia senior Jarmere Jenkins, on Saturday.

Senior Kacper Rams is also in the main draw, but he has a bye in the first round and will not play singles until Saturday.

Doubles action also kicks off tomorrow. Rams and Marquart will play the Old Dominion team of freshman Zvonimir Podvinski and junior Dante Terenzio.

Vasconez and Paulus are scheduled to play James Madison’s Ramadier and senior Florent Sentenac. Paulus hopes to be able to play, but if he cannot, Belkssir will take his place.

-Evan Cross