Ice hockey prepares for challenging weekend

Temple ice hockey will be tested this weekend in a pair of games with America Collegiate Hockey Association rivals Montclair State University and Penn State University at home.

Although the season is young,Coach Jerry Roberts knows that this weekend is a big one for his team.

“Both of these games this weekend are huge,” Roberts said.“There are about 10 games you circle on the schedule as a team and two of them are back to back this weekend.”

First up will be Montclair State team today that mirrors Temple in several ways, according to Roberts.

“Montclair’s going to be interesting because we’re two identical teams,” Roberts said. They went to [the ACHA Division Two National Tournament] two years ago like we did, and were completely shutout in regionals last year. Much like us, they re-tooled during the summer and got a lot better. That game’s going to be really interesting.”

Much of the weekend will hinge on the production from the Owls’ top lines, including the top forward line of freshman Jayson Marbaich, junior Joe Pisko, and senior Chris Brennan.

“We’re going to need production from that line,” Roberts said.“We’ve talked about how they’re getting really close and there’s potential there, but in order to us to be successful this weekend that line needs to be up and running.”

Senior forward Sean Nealis is back in the lineup today after sitting out Sunday at Lehigh with a shoulder injury. He will fill in for freshman forward Cody Vassa, who will sit out tonight due to a violation of team rules.

Junior goalie Chris Mullen will get the start in net.

The puck will drop at 8:30 pm at Northeast Skatezone.

-Drew Parent