Field hockey team set to take on Maryland

The field hockey team will be finishing up their road trip to the south with a game tomorrow against No. 4 Maryland (7-2).

The Owls come in riding a four game winning streak, after a come from behind win last night against Longwood (2-8).

Coach Amanda Janney said that her team is ready to go into College Park to play the Terrapins.

“I think our girls are fired up for the game, and I expect us to come out strong,” Janney said.

Maryland will be coming into Sunday’s game fresh off their second loss of the season, suffered against No. 7 Virginia.

The Terrapins are led by juniors Ali McEvoy and Jill Witmer. McEvoy, a defender, leads the team with seven goals, and Witmer, a forward, leads the team with seven assists.

Sophomore midfielder Nicole Kroener stressed that Temple needs to get off to an early start to beat Maryland.

“We need to come out playing like we have been against Bucknell and Longwood in the second half,” Kroener said. “We need to start playing like that in the first half because good teams like [Maryland] are going to be able to put us away if we don’t come out in the beginning.”

The Owls will be looking for offense from their forwards freshman Alyssa Delp and sophomore Amber Youtz. The young duo have led the Temple offense through their win streak.

The game is set to begin at 1:00 p.m. at the Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex on the University of Maryland’s campus.

-Colin Tansits