Amid departures, Owls sign a transfer

After recent news of guards Rateska Brown and Megan Roxas transferring away from the team, Tonya Cardoza has secured a transfer of her own, signing Georgia Tech freshman guard Donnaizha Fountain to a scholarship.

Per the NCAA transfer rules, Fountain will sit out the 2014-15 season.

Although the Roxbury, Mass. native will not play next season, she joins the Owls’ recruiting class of guards Tanaya Atkinson, Alliya Butts, Khadijah Berger and forward Wendion Bibbins as the Owls’ newcomers for next year.

“I am really excited to welcome Donnaizha to our family,” coach Tonya Cardoza said in the team’s press release. “She hails from my hometown of Roxbury, Mass.”

“She will bring passion, toughness, athleticism, and size at the guard position,” Cardoza added. ” I expect her to make an immediate impact on our team even while she is sitting out her first year.”

Fountain averaged 3.3 points per game in 21 games last year for the Yellow Jackets, primarily as an option off the bench.

She played high school ball at Cambridge Rindge & Latin High School, and was once named to the ESPN Boston Super Team as one of the state’s top players.

With the Owls reportedly losing Brown, Roxas, guard Jaquilyn Jackson and one more player not yet named, the Fountain signing could be the first of more to come in the near future.