Field hockey wraps up home schedule

The No. 17 Owls will play the first of the three regular season games remaining on the schedule on Friday afternoon, as they take on Big East rival Georgetown in their last home game of the year.

Friday’s matchup will be a special one for seniors Molly Doyle, Mandi Shearer and Lauren Hunt, who will be playing in their last game at Geasey Field.

The game will also be an important one for the team as a whole, as they look to secure a spot in the Big East Tournament with the regular season quickly coming to a close.

Temple (12-4, 3-2 conference) is currently fourth in the Big East standings, behind No. 10 Old Dominion, No. 14 Louisville and No. 4 Connecticut.

The Owls are coming off back-to-back shutouts, with a 4-0 win over Appalachian State on Friday and a 1-0 over then No. 20 Drexel on Sunday.

For Georgetown, last weekend, and the season in general, hasn’t been too kind.

The Hoyas have lost five straight and have been shutout in their last four games. They were beaten 5-0 by Connecticut last Friday, then 7-0 by Liberty on Sunday.

Georgetown is 0-5 in the conference this season and 2-13 overall.

Temple has played well on the defensive side of the ball all season allowing an average of 1.19 goals per game, while redshirt junior goalkeeper Lizzy Millen has put herself at the top of the NCAA statistics with a .827 save percentage that is tied for third in the nation.

Offensively, junior forward Amber Youtz is fourth in the nation in points per game with a 2.58 average and seventh in the nation in goals per game with 1.08. However, she hasn’t scored since recording a hat-trick against Providence on Oct. 11.

Overall the offense has averaged 2.56 goals per game, with goals coming from Hunt, sophomore forward Alyssa Delp, sophomore forward/midfielder Erin VanHorn and junior midfielder Nicole Kroener in the last two games.