Two football players charged with assault

Two members of the football team surrendered to police Monday night on assault charges following a January altercation with another Temple student. 6ABC initially reported the arrests late Monday night.

According to the report, junior offensive lineman Dion Dawkins and redshirt-junior Haason Reddick were charged following an altercation that transpired on Jan. 17 at an off-campus party in the Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia. The two allegedly left a victim – reportedly a Temple senior – with a broken orbital bone and a concussion following the incident.

The 20-year-old student-athletes will await a preliminary hearing on March 31 and, according to court documents released Tuesday morning, have been charged with aggravated assault, conspiracy and related charges. They were both released after posting 10 percent of $10,000 bail.

Dawkins and Reddick have been suspended by the university, according to a spokesperson, and are awaiting arraignment after acquiring lawyers, per the report. Court documents did not include attorneys for either student-athlete.

Dawkins, a 6-foot-5, 315-pound left tackle, played in 11 games for the Owls last fall as a starter. Reddick, a 6-foot-1, 225-pound defensive lineman, started twice and played in nine games, registering 25 tackles.

As of Tuesday morning, both players are still listed on the team’s roster.

The 6ABC report stated that the injured student has medically withdrawn from the university, but plans to resume classes in the fall semester.

In light of the incident, Temple issued the following statement on Monday night:

“Temple University is aware of allegations of improper conduct by two of its student-athletes at an off-campus location in January. The university has, and will continue, to fully cooperate with the Philadelphia Police Department in its investigation and will take appropriate actions outlined in the Student Conduct Code. The two students have been suspended from football team activities pending further investigation.”

Check back for updates.

Andrew Parent contributed reporting.