Owls aim for third straight victory

The Temple Owls (2-0) will travel for the third consecutive game and face Mount St. Mary (1-1) in Emmitsburg, Md. Thursday at 7 p.m.

With a win on Thursday night, Temple would be 3-0 for the first time since 1992, the program’s second year of existence.

The Owls have begun this season with a rejuvenated offensive attack. In the two victories against NJIT and Delaware State, Temple has scored a total of six goals, compared to 10 total goals in the 2012 season. Temple has also matched its 2012 total in assists (7).

Freshman midfielder Ingrid Mello leads Temple with two goals, while sophomore defender Kaylee Harner, sophomore forward Kelly Farrell, junior defender Alyssa Kirk and freshman midfielder Clara Guenter are tied at a goal each. Farrell is also tied at a team-high two assists this season with sophomore goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff.

Kerkhoff and the Temple defense look to continue their shutout streak and possibly pursue the program record of four consecutive shutouts (1993). Temple has never achieved three consecutive shutouts to begin a season.

The Mount will come into Thursday night’s game following a 1-0 season opening victory against UMBC and more recently, a 2-0 shutout loss to Bucknell.

Senior forward Jackie Corley has been scoreless but leads the team with seven shots. Sophomore forwards Emma Blair and Julia DiGiacomo have recorded the team’s lone goal and assist of the season.

Mount St. Mary’s has split its goalkeeping duties between sophomore goalkeepers Rachel Bourne and vicky Cocozza, each playing 90 minutes through two games. The duo has managed to register a combined 10 saves and a .846 save percentage.

This is Temple’s first matchup with Mount St. Mary since 1996 and 1997. In both games, the Owls came away victorious.