Women’s basketball to begin conference play

The women’s basketball team halted a month-long losing streak just in time for the beginning of Atlantic-10 Conference play.

In the midst of a six-game losing skid, the Owls (6-8) snapped out of their funk last Monday, beating Western Michigan 68-41. Today, Temple will tip off against St. Bonaventure (7-8) in its first in-conference game of the season.

After a team meeting following their loss to Howard, Temple erupted against Western Michigan, finishing with four players in double-figures. Senior center Victoria Macaulay led the way with 22 points and six rebounds on 11-of-19 shooting from the field. For the first time this season the Owls forced more turnovers than they committed, finishing with 12 giveaways compared to Western Michigan’s 16.

St. Bonaventure has also struggled of late, losing eight of their last twelve games after a 4-0 start to the season. Their latest game resulted in a 61-42 losing effort against Green Bay.

The Bonnies have two players averaging in double-figures. Junior forward Doris Ortega leads the Bonnies in both scoring and rebounding, averaging 11.5 points and 6.1 boards per game. Junior guard CeCe Dixon enters play averaging 10.5 points per game.

After spending all six games of their losing streak away on the road, the Owls made a triumphant return to Philadelphia against Western Michigan. However, Temple, which is 1-7 on the road, will travel to Olean, N.Y. to face the Bonnies before returning home again on Wednesday Jan. 16 to face VCU.

Coach Tonya Cardoza said following the Western Michigan game that, despite the win, she anticipates the rest of the season may continue to be a challenge for her young club. The A-10 consists of five teams that have already reached double-digit wins before even beginning in-conference play (Dayton, Charlotte, Duquesne, Fordham, and Richmond), as well as two others that have nine wins (St. Joe’s and Butler).

Temple and St. Bonaventure will tip off A-10 play at 1 p.m.

Tyler Sablich can be reached at tyler.sablich@temple.edu or on Twitter @TySablich.