Women’s soccer begins homestand vs. Rhode Island

The women’s soccer team will begin its second two-game weekend homestand of the season on Friday at 3 p.m. when they take on Rhode Island at Temple’s Ambler Sports Complex.

Coming off a 1-0 double-overtime win at Duquesne on Sunday, Oct. 7, the Owls will enter with momentum on their side, sophomore defender Alyssa Kirk said.

“I think Rhode Island is one of the tougher teams we will face,” freshman goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff said.

Temple will enter Friday’s match with a 4-8-2 record (2-1-0 in Atlantic 10 Conference) while Rhode Island will enter with a 7-6-1 record and losers of their last three matches, all of which were A-10 conference matches.

“I expect to win, 100 percent,” Kirk said. “We are going to go out there and do whatever it takes to get the win Friday and Sunday.”

On the season, Rhode Island has scored 23 goals compared to Temple’s six on the year. On the defensive side, the Owls have let up 10 less goals that Rhode Island has to opponents, as Rhode Island goalkeepers have allowed 23 goals compared to Temple’s 13 given up by Owl goalkeepers.

“This weekend is going to be the turning point in our season,” Kerkhoff said. “The outcomes of these two games will affect the rest of our year.”

-John Murrow