Dunphy, Addazio were top earning Temple employees in 2012-13

According to Temple, men’s basketball coach Fran Dunphy and former football coach Steve Addazio were the two highest paid employees at the university during the 2012-13 fiscal year.

With a salary of $1.3 million, Dunphy made slightly more than Addazio, who earned gross earnings of $1.2 million during the fiscal year. Both coaches received huge pay increases from the previous fiscal year in which Dunphy and Addazio earned $659,000 and $612,414, respectively.

Before Addazio’s arrival, former football coach Al Golden took the banner as the highest paid university employee with gross earnings of $898,031 during the 2010-11 fiscal year. Addazio left Temple after the 2012 season for a head coaching position at Boston College, while Golden left after the 2010 season to fill the head coaching post at the University of Miami.

According to a USA Today study, Addazio’s salary, while high for University standards, ranked relatively low in the Big East with coaches earning as much as $2.3 million in 2012-13.

Among disclosed salaries, the Big East average was $1.6 million in coaches’ gross earnings, with Louisville head coach Charlie Strong’s $2.3 million topping the list.

Dunphy’s salary among the Owls’ former conference, the Atlantic 10, was below the disclosed salaries of Virginia Commonwealth’s Shaka Smart and Butler’s Brad Stevens, according to a Lansing State Journal study. Smart and Stevens’ earned $1.3 and $1.1 million, respectively.

-E.J. Smith