Field hockey faces Cardinals

The football team will face Louisville tomorrow, but not before field hockey has their shot at the Cardinals tonight.

The No. 18 Owls left for Kentucky on Thursday morning to face a Cardinals squad on Friday night that is one spot ahead of them in the national rankings at No. 17.

It will be Temple’s third conference game this season, but its first against a Top 20 ranked opponent since the Owls shutout the then No. 6 ranked Penn State 3-0 on Sept. 6.

Both teams are 8-2 on the season and are 2-0 in Big East Conference play so far.

The Owls and the Cardinals aren’t too different on the stat sheet either, with Temple averaging 2.90 goals per game and Louisville averaging 3.00 goals per game.

On the defensive side, the Owls have held opponents to 1.40 goals per game, aided by the play of redshirt junior goalkeeper Lizzy Millen, who has the fifth best save percentage in the country at .813.

Louisville has kept opponents to 1.38 goals per game, with redshirt sophomore Sydney King in goal and current Big East Defensive Player of the Week, junior back Alyssa Voelmle.

Voelmle will clash with the Offensive Player of the Week in freshman forward Katie Foran, who scored three goals last weekend in wins over Rutgers and Sacred Heart.

Since making their way into the nation’s top 20 with the No. 11 ranking on Sept. 10, the Owls have only fallen back in the rankings.

However, a good two games this weekend could change that.

Tonight’s game is set to start at 6:00 PM EST.