Field hockey names new grad assistant

When Kelly Driscoll became the full-time assistant coach for the Temple Owls, she left an opening for a new graduate assistant.

That role will now be fulfilled by Danica Deckard.

“We are so happy have Danica on our staff,” ninth year head coach Amanda Janney said in a press release. “She embodies everything we’re looking for in a role model for our student-athletes. She comes from a strong field hockey background, she excelled in the classroom, and is very intense and focused on her fitness.”

Deckard played field hockey for four years at Ohio State University, where she was a standout star. The idea of having her at Temple, however, isn’t exactly a new one.

“I tried to recruit her five years ago because I knew she was such a good athlete and good person,” Janney said. “We’re happy that she had a great career at Ohio State, but we’re very pleased that she’s able to come and work with our program now. We need to score a lot of goals to win in the BIG EAST and we know she’ll be able to help us improve our attack.”

Deckard didn’t choose Temple five years ago, but she is here now and is excited for the opportunity.

“I’m thrilled to be here at Temple,” Deckard said. “I’m very excited to be a part of the field hockey program as we start our first season in the BIG EAST.”

Off the field, Deckard earned her bachelor’s degree in education and human ecology at Ohio State and plans to earn her masters in sports business during her time here at Temple.

As a player, Deckard was an offensive force. She scored 13 goals, seven assists and 33 total points in 2012 to lead the Buckeyes in offense.  She also led the team in goals in her junior year with 11 and fell just short of double-digits with nine goals in her sophomore year.

Deckard tied for third in game-winning goals in the Big Ten conference in 2012 with five and her 33 points that year ranked seventh in the conference. She had 10 multi-point games in her senior year, giving her a 1.78 points per game average that was good for eighth in the conference.

Deckard’s accolades consist of two All-Big Ten Second Team honors in 2011 and 2012, plus a spot on the NFHCA All-Region First Team in her senior year.

The Selinsgrove, PA. native was also an Academic All-Big Ten selection twice, an Ohio State Scholar Athlete three times and a NFHCA National Academic Honoree.

Deckard attended and played for Selinsgrove High School.