Temple hosts inaugural Harrow Cup

Temple coaches and field hockey alumnae alike gathered at Geasey Field last weekend to participate in the inaugural Harrow Cup.

Head coach Amanda Janney, assistant coach Kelly Driscoll, former assistant coach Charise Young and alum Alli Lokey (2008 gradate), Erin Hanshue (2009 graduate) and Bridget Settles (2012 graduate) competed in the six-team tournament that was created to promote post-collegiate field hockey.

“The idea was born during the 2012 National Field Hockey Festival in West Palm Beach, Fla.” The Harrow Cup website statement reads. “Inspired by the passion, excitement, and enthusiasm of the Harrow Field Hockey staff at their annual opportunity to play, Mark Hayden, the leader of Harrow Sports, decided that more needed to be done for this underserved market segment.”

“The Harrow Cup aims to serve the post-collegiate market by providing a competitive and exciting opportunity to play,” The statement adds. “We want to give opportunity to play where there is none.”

Each team participating in the tournament competed for a winner take all prize of $10,000.

Both Janney and her former assistant coach in Young played for the Vipers.

Lokey played for the Boomers, Settles played for the Titans and Hanshue was a goalkeeper for the Ninjas.

Meanwhile, assistant coach Driscoll was the goalkeeper for the Mambas, who went on to win the tournament and the cash prize that went with it.

Coach Janney was on the board of directors for the Harrow Cup, and helped in bringing the event to Temple.

“We wanted to have it in Philadelphia it is kind of a central location,” Janney said. “A lot of girls came from Boston, D.C., people flew in from California.”

“It was the first year and we were happy to host,” Janney said. “Everything ran smooth, no major injuries. It was a just a great weekend of hockey.”