Women’s tennis to close season at Binghamton

The women’s tennis team will play its last match of the regular season, and its fourth match in five days, Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. against Binghamton at the TU Pavilion.

The Owls (8-13, 3-6 Atlantic 10 Conference) will look to close out their season winning four of their last five. The Bearcats (4-15, 1-4 America East Conference) have only won one of their past 12 matches.

Junior Alicia Doms is currently dealing with elbow tendinitis. She said it is not very painful, but it will not fully heal until she rests it for a month. It is not affecting her play too much: she is 4-1 in her past five singles matches.

After playing flight six all season, freshman Minami Okajima has played fifth flight for the past three matches. She is 2-1, and has earned praise from teammates on her improved play over the course of the season. She has also won her only doubles match that was finished in that span, coming down from a 6-3 deficit to win 8-6 with junior Carly Bohman.

Binghamton’s best player is freshman Sara Kohtz, who is 8-8 in dual meet play this season. Kohtz has played all of her matches in the top three flights, and sports a 5-2 record in flight two. She is winless in four matches at the top flight.