Pair of gymnasts win ECAC honors

Men’s gymnastics was honored with two recipients winning this week’s Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference awards.

Senior Alex Tighe was awarded ECAC Co-Gymnast of the Week, sharing the award with Army freshman Jesse Glenn. Freshman Jon Rydzefski was awarded ECAC Rookie of the Week.

Last Friday at the 22nd annual West Point Open, the Owls were guided to victory by the performances of Tighe and Rydzefski. Tighe worked three events to help pace Temple, as they captured the team competition, but the day belonged to Rydzefski. The Leominster, MA., native came in third place in the all-around with a career best score of 81.200.

The duo followed up Friday’s performance with an even better one on Saturday for the individual event finals.

Rydzefski medaled in two of the six events, placing in third on parallel bars scoring a 13.800, and then second on high bars with a score of 13.750. Yet, he was bested by Tighe who won both apparatuses, outscoring all of the competition in both high bar (14.300) and parallel bars (14.300), to win the event titles.

Both of their performances were enough to earn them their respective ECAC weekly honors.

Men’s gymnastics will have the week off, with the exception of Tighe who has been invited to participate in this year’s Winter Cup held in Las Vegas, and a chance to qualify for the USA Championships in Hartford, CT this summer. The competition begins tomorrow at noon.