Field hockey faces Massachusetts in first round of A-10 Championships

For the fourth year in a row the field hockey team is headed to the Atlantic 10 Conference Championships, and tomorrow the Owls will face No. 18 Massachusetts in the first round.

The tournament’s second seed, Massachusetts is 12-8 overall and 6-1 in the A-10, with its only loss coming against Richmond.

Temple comes into the game with a 12-8 record and a 5-2 in conference record, with losses to Richmond and Massachusetts in the Owls’ conference games.

Last weekend the Owls took on Massachusetts in Amherst, Mass. and lost 4-1.

In the game Temple’s leading scorer, sophomore forward Amber Youtz, was shut out and the Owls’ only goal came off a penalty corner from sophomore midfielder Nicole Kroener.

The Minutewomen were able to jump out early in the game with two goals from senior midfielder Kim Young, and a goal from freshman midfielder Noralie Weusthius.

But the Owls are looking to repeat last year’s A-10 playoff performance, where they were able to shut out Massachusetts in the first round and win 4-0.

In last year’s contest Youtz was able to jumpstart the Temple offense with a goal in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Massachusetts will be riding on the back of their leading scorer Young, who has 11 goals and five assists on the year.

Senior forward Nicole Cordero will also be looking to exploit a Temple defense that has yet to shut out a team this season.

The Owls will be leaning on their forwards to put points on the board in what could be their last game in the A-10.

-Colin Tansits