Field hockey travels for Longwood

After capping a two-win weekend this past Saturday and Sunday, the field hockey team will be taking a road trip south for a two game road trip.

On Friday, the Owls will be playing against Longwood (2-8) in Farmville, Va. at 7 p.m.

The Lancers have gotten off to a slow start this season, with their only wins against Ball State and Liberty.

But coach Amanda Janney said that Longwood has played some tough teams and deserves respect.

“[Longwood] is a team that we haven’t seen a lot,” Janney said. “[Longwood]’ s record isn’t great, but they have some very talent players on their team and their coaching staff is great.”

For Temple, seeing the Lancers this Friday will be a bit of a reunion. Former Temple goalkeeper Sarah Dalrymple is an assistant coach for Longwood.

“[Dalrymple] is doing a great job helping the program come around and their head coach Iain Byers is a very smart guy,” Janney said. “So I think it will be a very competitive game.”

The biggest threats for Temple on Friday will be sophomore forward Jessica Diaz and junior midfielder Stacy de Grandhomme. Both players are leading the team with six goals each, and Grandhomme has three assists as well.

The Owls will be looking for continued production from their young frontline featuring sophomore Amber Youtz and freshman Alyssa Delp.

This tandem has combined for 18 goals and six assists this season.

Temple has been averaging 5.7 goals per game over the past three games, and the Owls are hoping to keep the goals coming.

Janney said that she wants her team to come out on Friday strong.

“I just want us to come out on fire and keep the scoring going,” Janney said.

-Colin Tansits