Women’s soccer opens New York series

The women’s soccer team will be opening up their first of two games in New York this weekend against Siena on Friday, Sept. 21, at 4 pm.

“Our team loves road trips,” freshman goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff said. “Away games allow for our team to bond on the bus more than usual.”

The first match of the road trip on Friday against Siena will be one that the Owls plan to match up well against, coach Matt Gwilliam said.

“We played them in a tough match last year at home,” Gwilliam said. “We dropped that game last year and do not know a whole lot about [Siena] this year.”

Nearly a year ago to date on Sept. 25, 2011, Temple fell to Siena 3-1 at the Ambler Sports Complex. In the match, Owls’ midfielder Kate Yurkovic scored her lone goal of the 2011 season, but it was not enough to answer the Sienna offensive attack.

This week in practice, Temple has addressed the offensive attack as the team looks to finish the many opportunities they have been unable to finish to this point, Gwilliam said.

Temple is entering Friday’s match with a record of 2-5-2, while opposing Siena is 3-4-0 on the season.

“Every game is a new game so you never know what to expect,” Kerkhoff said. “We always expect to win every game, so we will see.”

-John Murrow