Men’s soccer drops two in California

The men’s soccer had a tough time handling two Big West Conference teams this weekend.

They departed from Philadelphia on Thursday morning in route to California, where they took on California Poly-Tech on Friday and California State Northridge on Sunday.

Coach David MacWilliams was expecting some quality competition heading into the road trip. Following Fridays matchup, he credited Poly-Tech as being worthy of the Top 20.

“I think we had our legs under us but we played really strong teams,” MacWilliams said. “They have very good teams out here.”

Poly-Tech played a different brand of soccer that may have caught the Owls off guard. Despite a strong defensive effort, the Owls fell 4-1 to the Mustangs. Senior Cody Calafiore admitted that the Owls were probably outmatched, citing their ferocious offensive attack.

“They were an amazing team,” Calafiore said. “We’re not used to that type of soccer.”

Sunday’s game against Cal State Northridge didn’t end much differently. The Owls were heavily outshot 25-7. Freshman Jared Martinelli was able to notch his much awaited first collegiate goal in the 88th minute, but it wasn’t enough to salvage a win for the Owls. The Matadors took the game, 2-1.

The Owls will now have the week off before shuttling to Ambler this weekend to host games against Saint Peter’s and Howard. After dropping both games on the West Coast swing, the Owls have fallen to 1-3-1 in the early going of the 2012 season.

-Tyler Sablich