Men’s soccer awaits home opener against Manhattan

Despite being only the third game of the season, men’s soccer coach David MacWilliams thinks Tuesday’s home opener against Manhattan is key for his team.

“If we win then we’re at .500, and then you’re not chasing wins just to get to that mark,” MacWilliams said. “We’ve played two tough games. The first one was unfortunate.”

The Owls season opener ended in a loss due to a controversial penalty shot that was assessed to Virginia Tech.

Their second game of the season was a double-overtime bout with James Madison. The Owls’ defense was able to tame James Madison’s potent offense, with the game ultimately ending in a draw. Tuesday’s home opener will be their first game in nine days.

After Tuesday’s matchup at Ambler Campus, the Owls will once again fly out of the city. Temple will pack their bags and head to California this weekend for a two-game West Coast swing against California Polytechnic and California State-Northridge.

Senior defenseman Billy Kappock believes that, with solid defense, the Owls are capable of taking down anyone.

“If we stay positive and collective as a group, we should do fine no matter who we play,” Kappock said. “If we defend well we’ll always have a chance.”

The defense will most likely be guarding sophomore Dan Scheck for tomorrow’s home opener. Junior Bobby Rosato is still believed to be out with a fractured arm. There is a possibility he may be available for this weekend’s road trip to California. Scheck has given up one goal in his first two starts. He’s looking for his first collegiate victory against Manhattan.

The home opener is set to begin at 3 p.m.

-Tyler Sablich