Golf led by top recruits

Golf coach Brian Quinn is excited.

His reason? The Owls are entering the 2012-13 season with a roster full of talent of a quality the program has never seen before.

“This is the best recruiting class in the history of Temple golf,” Quinn said.

The recruiting class is led by incoming freshman and 2010 Pennsylvania State Golf Champion Brandon Matthews from Pittston Area High School. Matthews has won junior tournaments across Pennsylvania and is figured to factor into the lineup immediately. Joining Matthews is fellow newcomer Mike Teesdale  a community college transfer that really has Quinn excited.

“[Teesdale] is a very good golfer,” Quinn said. “It is great that we are going to get three years of playing from him.”

The recruits aren’t the only thing that Quinn is excited about. He is returning two of his most important players from last season in sophomore Paul Carbone and senior Devin Bibeau.

“[Carbone] could be very good, he has a ton of potential. I’m expecting him to work harder and really improve a lot this season,” Quinn said.

Quinn sees Bibeau as the leader of the group, and he will be expected to carry load as not only the No. 1 player on the team, but the mentor to this young squad.

“[Bibeau] is the best player on our team right now,” Quinn said. “He needs to be a leader for the younger guys and play the best golf he could for us to be successful this season.”

The golf team will begin their season on Sept. 16 at The McLaughlin and they will finish their fall campaign on October 16 at the Barnabas Health Intercollegiate.

-Anthony Bellino